Javascript styleswitcher changes between stylesheets for different size text.
skip navigation text size: small | medium | large 
MU logoUniversity of Missouri
The Pattrick Family [ Museum Online Home ] [ Historical Collection ] [ Museum Home ]

World War I through the Eyes of a Mid-Missourian

[ Home ] [ Brief Bio ] [ Enlisting ] [ Orders ] [ Daily Life ] [ "I've Seen Enough" ]

J H Pattrick Goes to France
hometown newspaper article

Telegram from Mother and Dad

Dear Mother and Dad
explaining decision

War Diary: with Pershing on the HMS Baltic

Letters from the Baltic

War Diary: London

War Diary: Arriving in France

Dear Mother and Dad
arriving in Paris

Soldiers on Ferry
Soldiers on Ferry
[opens in new window]

<< back to Enlisting

War Diary: London

After landing at Liverpool at 10:30 a.m., June 8, 1917, we were rushed aboard a special train and sent through direct to London, arriving there about 3:30 p.m. that afternoon. Of course got no chance to see more than a birdseye view of Liverpool. Upon arrival at London we were met by the high English officials and taken in special auto buses to the Imperial Hotel, the officers going to the Savoy Hotel and the enlisted men to London Tower. We remained at the Imperial Hotel during our sojourn in London. The night of our arrival we were taken, thanks to a committee of Americans residing in London who without expense to us kept us going all the time of our stay carrying out a prearranged schedule, to the Duke of York Theatre to see 'Daddy Long Legs'.

Saturday, June 9th, we were taken to Windsor, where we visited Windsor Castle, King George's Chapel and all the other places of interest there, including the famous Eaton College. We signed the visiting book at Eaton College and so our visit will be matter of record there. At Windsor we were shown all through the castle under the personal guidance of Major General Carey of the English Army, Governor of the castle. He surely was a fine man, allowing us to inspect all parts of the castle which were not open to the public generally. In the parts of King George's Chapel, generally closed to the public, we saw the tombs of many of the English royalty, including that of King Edward VII. We were honored at dinner by a speech from the Mayor of Windsor and in a picture taken in Windsor Castle of the entire group, the Mayor of Windsor is shown standing to the right of General Carey. That evening after returning to London we were taken to the Alhambra Theatre to see the 'Bing Girls are there'.

Sunday, June 10th, we took the train in London at 10 a.m., arrived at Richmond at about 10:45 a.m., went aboard a chartered boat and went up the Thames about thirty miles; stopping on the way up at Hampton Courts Palace which we visited. In Hampton Courts Palace we saw the bedrooms, writing rooms, etc., of the various Kings and Queens of England for many years back; also some very wonderful paintings. We were cheered all the way up and all the way back by thousands of picnickers out for the Sunday. It was a wonderful day and we did not get back to our hotel until about 11 p.m. The river was covered with hundreds of canoes and row boats full of girls and fellows, mostly soldiers, some of which were convalescing.

Monday, June 11th, we toured London proper in the afternoon, taking in all the points of interest, including Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London. That evening we were taken to the Criterion Theatre to se, "A little bit of Fluff". Tuesday, June 12th, we were taken to Queen Alexandria Hospital where the third and last inoculation of para-typhoid [were given].

[ Home ] [ Brief Bio ] [ Enlisting ] [ Orders ] [ Daily Life ] [ "I've Seen Enough" ]

A Joint Exhibit
of the
University of Missouri
Western Historical Manuscript Collection-Columbia
and the University of Missouri-Columbia
Museum of Anthropology

Acknowledgments and World War I Links