Javascript styleswitcher changes between stylesheets for different size text.
skip navigation text size: small | medium | large 
MU logoUniversity of Missouri
The Pattrick Family [ Museum Online Home ] [ Historical Collection ] [ Museum Home ]

World War I through the Eyes of a Mid-Missourian

[ Home ] [ Brief Bio ] [ Enlisting ] [ Orders ] [ Daily Life ] [ "I've Seen Enough" ]

J H Pattrick Goes to France
hometown newspaper article

Telegram from Mother and Dad

Dear Mother and Dad
explaining decision

War Diary: with Pershing on the HMS Baltic

Letters from the Baltic

War Diary: London

War Diary: Arriving in France

Dear Mother and Dad
arriving in Paris

Colonel Ireland
Colonel Ireland

HMS Baltic
HMS Baltic

<< back to Enlisting

War Diary: with Pershing on the HMS Baltic

Left Washington, D.C. at 12:25 a.m., May 26th, 1917. About twelve of my classmates saw me off at the station. Some of those at the station were: Hall, Davis, Stetcher, Dismond, Stone, Alverson. Arrived in New York City Saturday morning, May 26th at 23rd Street Station, B. & O. Had my trunk transferred across to Governor's Island and reported to Colonel Ireland at 10:00 and was given instructions to report on Monday morning at 10:00 Governor's Island. Sunday I went out to call on Marie.

Monday morning early I went across to Governor's Island and was told I should have registered before leaving and I went back to the City Hall and registered, marking my card, 'Now in France', as I then thought we would be by Registration Day, June 5th. Reached Governor's Island just in time to catch the army tender which embarked from Governor's Island at about 1:30 p.m., in a downpour of rain. We sailed down the harbor until 4:30 p.m., when we were picked up by the English liner, S.S. Baltic.

The 'Baltic' took a very northernly course and it was reported at one time one night the lighthouse at Halifax was in sight. With the exception of one day and night the weather was delightful, the northern route causing the temperature to be rather cool at times. At night all windows were covered and outside lights extinguished. One night while promenading about eleven o'clock I saw a light in the distance for only an instant or so, what it was I never knew but have since thought it was a lighthouse near Hallifax.

The last two or three days were rather anxious ones, we were ordered to sleep with our clothes on, and I took the extra precaution of renting a deck chair and passing the night near a life boat. We had life-boat drill two or three times. During the last four days everyone wore civilian clothes to prevent being shelled in case we had to take to lifeboats when sub-marined. During the voyage we were inoculated four times with typhoid and para-typhoid for which I suffered some.

On the morning of June 6th, we were pleased beyond expression to wake up and find a U.S. Destroyer along side us to convoy us into port. And while I stood admiring this one another came in sight over the horizon and these two, with another which joined us the morning of the 7th, accompanied us until we were safely past the submarines.

On the afternoon of June 7th at about three o'clock we sighted the Irish coast and it was indeed a relief after twelve days of nothing but water to look at. At eleven o'clock that night we weighed anchor in the harbor of Liverpool.

[ Home ] [ Brief Bio ] [ Enlisting ] [ Orders ] [ Daily Life ] [ "I've Seen Enough" ]

A Joint Exhibit
of the
University of Missouri
Western Historical Manuscript Collection-Columbia
and the University of Missouri-Columbia
Museum of Anthropology

Acknowledgments and World War I Links